Friday, June 30, 2006

Rain, Rain, Go Away...we've had enough!! We're drowning here. It started Tuesday and has barely let up since! And it's far worse west of us. There are entire towns with feet of standing water! Part of a highway broke apart and two trucks drove into the hole and the drivers died. Poor Barbara was trying to get home from Syracuse on Wednesday and they shut the Thruway down. I spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to find her an alternate route. It seemed every road I had her turn down was closed due to flooding. She finally made it home...over 2 hours later, but home! In Albany, the Yacht Club lost it's docks with all the boats attached. There's a sight to see....a dock with 6 boats attached just floating downriver!

Gram and Buck live on the Mohawk River also. I stopped down there yesterday. It's not the worst I have seen, but darn close.














In the top left picture you can see the bike path bridge. Normally the water is about 15 feet below the bridge and only about a foot deep. As you can see, there is now only about 5 feet of clearance. In the top right picture you can see the top edge of a metal tube. This tube is about 10-12 feet in diameter. There is usually only a trickle of water running through it, but now there is only about a foot of clearance before it floods the road above it!

As I said it's not the worst I have seen, but CLOSE! Buck is hosting the family reunion on Saturday. I am hopding today's sunny weather and no rain will help the river go down a little. And Mimi...if you are listening, we need good weather for tomorrow, preferably with a breeze so I can fly my kite!!

No comments: